Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thursday. 9/29/11. That thing you do.


Thursday, September 29, 2011

So I’m going to start with lyrics today:
I lost my keys in the great unknown
And call me please 'Cuz I can't find my phone

This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed
This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I gotta trust You know exactly what You're doing
It might not be what I would choose
But this is the stuff You use

Today could have been a lot better. To say the very least.
Last night after I posted yesterday’s entry, I was filling out the “about me” part of the profile for this. One of the sections was “favorite movies’’ and this is one of my favorite questions ever. I love movies and cinematography. I honest could talk about movies with anyone for a ridiculous amount of time. But as I listed my all time favs, I realized they all had a little something in common. They all include ridiculous love stories. All but one. In Titanic, I mean come on, that’s a given. They meet as he saves her from suicide, they do it in an antique car, she risks her life to save him. I mean good Lord. It doesn’t get more romantic. Pretty in Pink, young love is at its finest while a “wrong side of the tracks” fashionista (who wears pink, hence the name) falls in love with a dashing bajillionaire then they makeout in front of a classic 80s BMW (classic scene). Breakfast club. We have a bunch of mini loves going on. Good girl gone bad. Freak turned fabulous. The start of a beautiful love. Forrest Gump, “I luve you, Jen-ay.” Curious Case of Benjamin Button “Will you still love me when I’m old and wrinkly?” “Will you still love me when I wet the bed?”
These are all terribly charming and sappy movies that talk about love and cheesy. And don’t get me wrong, I bought that love. I bought it. I bought it with credit and I’m still paying for it. But when I really started thinking about those kisses that make “your knees go weak” and the moments that “make you melt.” They really don’t happen when you’re on a sinking ship or when you walk into prom to find the guy that ditched you is alone as well.. No. Those real “love” moments are the little things. It’s when a guy stops talking to his friends to ask if his little lady needs a hand hosting the party. It’s when he sacrifices a night just the two of them to help her care for her siblings. It’s when he takes her bag from her without having to be asked so that her shoulders can have a rest. That’s love.
I think girls forget that no matter how good it feels to have someone hold your hand when all you do is “hook up.” And its sad. I’d rather have a 0 hold my hand and hold open the door for me, then a 10 treat me like crap. Maybe it’s just me but that seems like an okay deal. When I was in DisneyWorld this year, we were sitting on the tram watching people get in and this woman was holding a baby, struggling to get to a seat and trying to juggle a diaper bag filled with souveniers. The man with her, took the bag off her shoulder, took the stroller, and managed the kid so that she could get in. Then he handed the kid back, kissed her forehead and shut the Tram door. He waited for the next one. It was the most romantic moment I’ve ever seen. It beat ALL those movies that I watch trying to imagine what love would be like. That’s what its like. That Tram love.
Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City said:
“Let’s talk about what I am. I am someone who is searching for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, cant without each other love. “
Girls, we should settle for nothing less then that. No guy shall ever let us sink on ship but he will also never let us carry a heavy diaper bag. Never. And Guys, don’t let us con you into thinking you need to come home with roses every night and serenade us. But it’s the little stuff. That’s what matters.

Lesson of the day: don’t settle for anything less then you deserve but also, appreciate the little things. Life is made up of a lot of little things

Lyrics:
We went dancing in the minefields
We went sailing in the storms
And it was harder the we dreamed but I elieve that’s what the promise is for.

-Andrew Peterson “Dancing in the minefields”

No comments:

Post a Comment